Saturday, June 21, 2014

Stuff I Almost Didn't Do

It seems like I spend a lot of time nowadays doing things I almost don't do.

From painting a picture to cleaning the bathroom, I feel like I have to work myself up to get the gumption to do just about anything anymore.

And I hate that.

I almost didn't write this blog. But I'm glad I did, because it means I get to tell you about something I almost didn't do that turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

But first let's start with a couple of things I almost DID do: I almost went to "Junkstock" today. Apparently Junkstock is pretty much what you would expect it to be - scads of vendors selling, well, junk - although much of it is supposedly antique junk. I heard about it from my mom and I'm pretty sure I saw a commercial for it, and I was intrigued. I decided to go check it out, but as I approached my destination, I began to drive past blocks and blocks of cars parked on the road and began having second thoughts. Nevertheless, I pulled into a subdivision and started walking. It turned out to be a lot hotter than I anticipated, and much of the ground was a muddy mess. Part of me started to wish somebody would call me up and offer alternative plans, and sure enough, as I approached the entryway, I got a ring from my mom asking if I wanted to get together. My feet couldn't take me back to my car fast enough. On the walk back, I bought a much-needed cup of cold lemonade from a sweet little girl for fifty cents.

So I went to the mall and hung out with my mom for a bit. One double Whopper later, we found ourselves at a loss as to what to do next. She suggested a movie. I concurred, and so off we went to almost see a movie. We saw a couple of posters at the theater that intrigued us - namely, "Ida" and "Words and Pictures", so I went up to the box office to see about tickets. Turned out neither movie was actually playing there, so, after unsubtly suggesting to the girl at the window that it might be time to change the posters, we went to the dollar theater. Mom wasn't interested in anything playing there (though I would've been up for a third viewing of The Lego Movie). We decided to go to the drugstore and grab some candy and a newspaper to see what was playing at the Oak View 24, and, naturally, it was the only theater in town that wasn't listed. I think we were both thinking about wrapping things up at this point, but I suggested "Belle" which I was pretty sure was playing there. I had heard it was pretty good. Hoping I was correct about the 7:05 showtime, we headed over there, though I wasn't really expecting much after an afternoon of disappointments.

But what a lovely surprise the film turned out to be. This is not a movie review blog - I'll just offer a brief synopsis - but I can wholeheartedly recommend it to moviegoers of all ages (it's rated PG). The film centers on Dido, a young biracial lady in 18th-century England - when the slave trade was still legal there. Amidst stifling social and class conventions, Dido struggles to come to terms with herself, her suitors, and her Papa, who happens to be the most powerful judge in the land. The good judge is struggling with an insurance fraud case (the insured being live cargo, i.e. slaves, who had possibly been murdered) which may be a landmark case in the history of the abolition of slavery. The acting and costumes were lovely, and it was a highly enjoyable and thought-provoking film. It also doesn't hurt that the lead actress, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, isn't too hard on the eyes.

I almost didn't see this film. But I'm glad I did, because it means I got to tell you about it.

I guess it's better to almost not do things than not to do them at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment